Today we learned about unpacking standards. Here is my attempt at unpacking a 7th grade Life Science standard:
Virginia SOL: LS.12 Students will investigate and understand relationships between ecosystem dynamics and human activity.
Verbs (How students will accomplish this standard): Investigate, Understand
Nouns (What students are required to know): human activities, ecosystem dynamics, relationships between the two.
– Define- global warming, greenhouse effect
– Identify- major causes of the greenhouse effect including anthropological sources of greenhouse gases.
– Analyze- relationship between concentration of greenhouse gases and global temperatures.
– Construct- a graph showing the relationship between years and temperature.
– Compare- results of above graph with graph of concentration of carbon dioxide over a number of years.
– Infer- relationship between the two graphs.
1. How do human actions contribute to the phenomena known as the greenhouse effect and global warming?
2. What are some of the implications of global climate change?
3. How can we alleviate the situation?
– Students will work on a graphic organizer in small groups and brain storm some causes of climate change.
– Students will use Excel to create graphs.
– Students will compare the graphs they generate with other graphs and infer relationships between them.
– Students will create a product summarizing the key points learned in the unit.
– Students will reflect on what they have learned and comment on each other’s projects.
– Webspiration- for graphic organizer
– Excel- for creating graphs and analyzing data
– Class blog- for sharing projects, reflection, and sharing comments
– Voice Thread or PhotoStory- for creating the final project
– Discovery Ed- used by teacher to find educational videos
– Diigo- for sharing sites that can be used in research for project